At the risk of plagiarizing, I am stating that this is a verbatim copy of what the ABA has published online on their website as of 12-26-2017
Task Force on the Model Definition of the Practice of Law
Board of Governors Resolution
RESOLVED, that a Task Force on the Model Definition of the Practice of Law with not more than seven members, including a chair, appointed by the President in consultation with the chair of the Standing Committee on Client Protection shall be established to work in conjunction with the Standing Committee on Client Protection regarding a model definition of the practice of law and to report to the Board of Governors not later than August 2003. This Task Force and the Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility shall maintain a liaison relationship.
- President’s Challenge Statement
- Recommendation As Adopted August 11, 2003 and Report
- Background to Report
- U.S. FTC/DOJ Comments on the American Bar Association’s Proposed Model Definition of the Practice of Law (Dec. 20, 2002)
Adopted Definitions of the Practice of Law
- General Assembly of North Carolina HB 436 to Further Define the Practice of Law (ratified June 20, 2016)
- FTC/DOJ Letter to North Carolina regarding the definition of the practice of law in HB 436
- Nebraska Rules Governing the Unauthorized Practice of Law (effective January 1, 2008)
- Utah Definition of the Practice of Law (adopted June 7, 2005)
- Washington State Practice of Law Board
- Connecticut – Rules of the Superior Court, Sec. 2-44A., Definition of The Practice of Law(Effective January 1, 2008)
See also AZ, DC and WA under State Definitions of the Practice of Law.
Proposed Definitions of the Practice of Law
- U.S. FTC/DOJ Comments on Hawaii’s Proposed Rule Concerning Unauthorized Practice of Law (January 25, 2008)
- Halt Comments (January 25, 2008) and (March 10, 2008)
- Hawaii (Revised)
- U.S. FTC/DOJ Comments on Hawaii’s Revised Proposed Rule Concerning Unauthorized Practice of Law (April 20, 2009)
- Letter from Chief Justice Moon (July 2, 2009)
- Halt Comments (Oct. 6, 2008)
For additional information, please contact Art Garwin, Publication & Professionalism Counsel at 312/988-5294 or Art.Garwin@americanbar.org.
check out ALL of my counterterrorism and criminal justice papers to date
Other articles pertaining to Unauthorized Practice of Law and Non-Lawyer Ethics and Online Legal Industry Ethics:
- 11 reasons why documatic.website.
- FREE! – MAKE YOUR OWN EXPERT LAW SYSTEM FOR A WEBSITE – USE THE TOOLS ON WWW.MYFORM.SHOP – MAKE $ OR DO IT FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND – THE CHOICE IS YOURS.
- Drawing in Website Visitors, Client intake and avoiding UPL.
- Low cost web tools for legal professionals with self-run websites.
- SEO Options.
- Getting into verbal tussles with Attorneys about UPL. It’s my pleasure!
- I have this simple praxis methodology for avoiding unauthorized practice of law.
- Process Server Resources.
- Encode the Law as a Non-Lawyer.
- Access to Justice and Barriers – the role of the non-lawyer online!
- Government Links Pertaining to Small Claims.