small claims la

Small Claims Services

Legal Document Assistance Los Angeles County & all of California.

Click Here For an LA County Page on exactly how to choose which county and in which Courthouse to file your Small Claim!

There are 6 Courthouses in LA County.  Click Here For the LA County Small Claims Court Website.

6 Courthouses in LA County

  • Alhambra Courthouse
    150 West Commonwealth
    Alhambra, CA 91801
  • Downey Courthouse
    7500 East Imperial Highway
    Downey, CA 90242
  • Inglewood Courthouse
    One Regent Street
    Inglewood, CA 90301
  • Michael Antonovich Antelope Valley Courthouse
    42011 4th Street West
    Lancaster, CA 93534
  • Stanley Mosk Courthouse
    111 North Hill Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
  • Van Nuys Courthouse East
    6230 Sylmar Ave.
    Van Nuys, CA 91401

The basic idea is that the complaint is filed where the real estate is, the contract was signed or the incident occurred.  The choice of venue isn’t supposed to be a weapon against the other side to make it inconvenient.  Choose with the other person or party in mind and you will do well.

The specific rules of which court to file in are on the following LA County Page (click here)

On the day of court, make sure to dress nicely.  Wear business work attire.  Treat it as if you are your own Lawyer going to Court for yourself.  Nobody but you can represent you in Small Claims except for the appeal, so give a good and professional impression.  Always address the Judge as “Your Honor”.  Be polite and professional.  Answer the Judge’s questions directly, clearly, respectfully and make good eye contact.  Don’t embellish and tell a big story like it is a trip to the grade school Principal’s office.  Don’t argue with the other side before, during, or after court.  Be brief and be respectful if you do need to speak with the other side.

Click Here For an LA County Page on exactly how to choose which county and in which Courthouse to file your Small Claim!

Before I talk about anything else, I need to make sure that I impress upon my readers the absolute requirement that a Small Claims Plaintiff first demand payment or equitable relief from the Small Claims Defendant before they sue in Small Claims Court.  It is mandatory that you let somebody know that they owe you money or equitable relief before you sue them in Small Claims.  It is the unauthorized practice of law for me to write a Demand Letter on your behalf because I am not an attorney.  As part of a LegalShield Membership, your Attorney at your Partner Law Firm will write you a Demand Letter.  They will also advise you on any issues which might make it appropriate to sue in Limited Civil Court, or even Unlimited Civil Court.  There are quite a few reasons why it is a good thing to talk with an Attorney before filing a Small Claims Lawsuit against another person.

LegalShield is $30 for the first month of Membership and $20 every month after.  It is a very helpful membership which provides a whole stack of benefits including but not limited to: unlimited number of legal advice phone calls with an Attorney from your Partner Law Firm, phone calls and letters written by an Attorney at your request, unlimited number of contracts and documents up to 15 pages reviewed by an Attorney, creation of and updating of a will, 60 hours every year of court time if you are sued, your immediate family is covered too with a family plan.  Your LegalShield Partner Law Firm can also help you enforce a judgment once you win in court.  80% of Small Claims judgments go unenforced because it is not the job of the court, a judgment creditor must enforce their own judgment and most people are not able to.  LegalShield will help you and will drastically increase the odds of you getting paid.  For a 14 minute video presentation of the benefits of a LegalShield and an IDShield Membership, please check out my personal LegalShield site www.JamesPolk.US, you can purchase a membership through this site and also through  Thank you and please feel free to share this website with anybody you know who might want to file a Small Claims Complaint in the State of California.